Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Web Soap: My Story


Today I watched the first two episodes of the web show "My Story", which is a program about a group of soap fans. Below are my thoughts on what I've seen so far.

"My Story" is a comedy based around a group of college girls who watch their favorite show "Moments of Our Time". The three ladies Nicole, Amber and Suzanne are long term viewers, and they are initiating Heather into the world of daytime drama. Nicole brought Heather into their viewing group, and in the second episode we see them try to explain the universe of MOOT to her. (I wonder if that title was chosen as a play on the word moot.) They decide to teach her about the show, because they are sick of her asking questions while it is airing.

If you watch soaps some of the humor touches upon the oddities of the genre. For example in episode two, the girls explained some generic things about soaps to Heather like if you need a DNA test go out of town as otherwise it will be tampered with or if you die you aren't really dead especially if it is a plane crash. That along with Suzanne and Amber having a major story disagreement got to me. As in the real world, it is a lot easier to have friends who you share a soap opera with that you have very different opinions about as sadly online that happens a lot less due to fan wars. The soap they watch has been on television for decades and began on radio, though they tell Heather she doesn't have to know its entire history to enjoy the program. (I wish they would have said in some ways how it is easier to not know everything, but I digress.) They show her homemade family trees, which is helpful because I was confused by the characters in the show within the show.

What I liked about it so far was what little we saw of MOOT had a multigenerational cast, and some of the family names are based on real life soap people like the Cordays and the Montys. Each episode is about 10 minutes in length, and since there are only four main characters it isn't too confusing. Of course, I wonder how they can expand the universe for the "real characters" along with the ones on their favorite program due to the time constraints.

To learn more about the show you can visit their website. I'm not getting anything for writing about this show, and don't know anyone personally involved in this project.

No comments: