Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Soap Assignments Blog: Feb 2012 Questions Part 1

Last month, a new blog called "Soap Assignments" was started that asks questions of viewers about soap operas. I decided for fun to answer them on here. There were nine questions in February, so I plan to answer five in this entry.

The first question: What is/was your favorite soap set?

My answer would be Ryan's Bar on Ryan's Hope, and I'm not saying that because tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. I adore that set, and after it was cancelled the bar moved to One Life to Life. All My Children also wanted it, but OLTL won the right to have it on their show. Rodi's in Llanview used this bar and had since it was Max's Place. Lots of memories on two shows, though there are a lot of home sets I also loved seeing especially when it matched the characters closely. I could give a list of sets I adored on numerous shows, but that was my first set that came to my mind.

The second question: Where Would You Like to See a Currently Shelved Soap Storyline Pick Up If It Returned to Production?

With All My Children, I wanted to know what happened with Erica's movie, and if the rest of the family got angry and whether or not Jack ever forgave her. With One Life to Live, I wanted to know who ends up living in the Buchanan Mansion as really there was no space in Bo and Nora's small apartment for them, Matthew and baby Drew. I'm just doing those two shows otherwise I'd be here all weekend writing up imagined scenarios for P&G soaps, plus Santa Barbara.

The third question: What Was Your Favorite Soap Opera Costume?

Maybe Guiding Light's Roger Thorpe wearing a clown costume over 30 years ago. To lure his daughter Christina, he donned this outfit and Rita figured out it was him. There is an awesome sequence where Roger chases her through a hall of mirrors while "Enough is Enough" is playing. I wasn't watching GL in those days, but I saw that clip in the 90s and thought it was awesome.

The fourth question: What Soap Opera Headline Would You Like to See?

Most of my headlines have to do with releasing old episodes, seeing actors who are on cancelled soap operas get jobs, and such. Cancelled shows come back better than ever, would be too much of a dream.

The fifth question: Who is Your Favorite Soap Villain?

I can easily tell you who my least favorite soap villains are, the people in high level positions within the industry, that didn’t respect the audience. Those are the true villains everyone else is just written that way. So I don’t really have a favorite villain as I have liked many “evil” characters over the years.

This was a fun challenge for me. I wonder what other soaps I will mention next time.

No comments: