Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Soap Assignments Blog: Feb 2012 Questions Part 2

Last month, a new blog called "Soap Assignments" was started that asks questions of viewers about soap operas. I decided for fun to answer them on here. There were nine questions in February, so I plan to answer four in this entry finishing out the month.

The first question: What Is/Was Your Favorite soap and Why?

Over the years, my favorite soap opera has changed. Originally I was very much an NBC fan: Days Of Our Lives, Another World, Santa Barbara, then I started watching General Hospital. Then I got into the rest of the ABC line up (Loving, All My Children and One Life to Live) and then CBS (The Young & the Restless, The Bold & the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light). The soap opera that was my favorite for the largest amount of years: Guiding Light, which was the one out of the older soaps I started watching last as I started with that about 20 years ago, while the others I started at least 2-5 years earlier. The soap that disappointed me most also Guiding Light, I think there is a correlation. It is also the show that I was most active in fandom, so that would be reason two.

The second question: Who Had the Best Soap Opera Wedding?

The best soap opera wedding to me was one of the first I saw Steve and Kayla (Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans) on Days of Our Lives in 1988. The outdoor filming location was beautiful, and the event was very romantic. Kayla wasn't able to speak, but during the ceremony she got her voice back. It was later revealed this wedding was not legal, but that's besides the point. The other notable thing is how some of the actors got sunburned sitting in chairs on the boat.

The third question: What Was the Saddest Soap Opera Story?

I am not counting situations where shows had cancellations, real life illness, death or stories where actors I enjoyed lost their jobs and/or left so their character was killed off and it wasn't their choice to go. So with that said, my answer would be Becky's (Marissa Tait) death on The Bold & the Beautiful. It was so depressing seeing her succumb to pancreatic cancer.

The fourth question: Who Is Your Favorite Soap Opera Child?

Going into the Wayback machine, Brandon as played by Justin Gocke on Santa Barbara. I loved that kid, and the relationship he had with his mom Gina (Robin Mattson). She wasn't a traditional mom, but she clearly loved her adopted son. There are many other soap children I enjoyed, but Brandon was one of the first I enjoyed.

No comments: