Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Primetime TV Update - August 2017

Here's a quick description of all of the shows I've watched and completed in August 2017. Of course, as always, there is a possibility of spoilers for any prime time show I mention.

For a second month, I didn't finish any reality shows, as I don't put game shows in that category, and the new reality shows on ABC I did not view.

On BBCAmerica, I completed the 2017 series "Doctor Who" with only hours left before it disappeared from on demand. I enjoyed it more than the 2016 series, as I felt the Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) was written more strongly, and the show had less arcs. Some of the guest performers were entertaining, as well.  Two other shows ended their runs on this station in August: "Broadchurch" and "Orphan Black".  They happen to be two of my favorite shows that premiered after 2010. It was annoying how long ago the UK (and Canada) aired the last series of Broadchurch, as spoilers were nearly impossible to avoid. That being said, it was "good timing" with the announcement of Jodie Whitaker playing the Thirteenth Doctor, though the announcement was "nothing" (a quick under two minute ad) in comparison to the show they announcing the switch from Matt Smith to Peter Capaldi. The third series had a new crime, but the primary characters from the earlier series also were featured.Orphan Black had a good resolution, and unlike many shows I wasn't upset with the people in charge after five series. While some stories had ups and downs, the focus on family was not forgotten.

On NBC, I watched the game show "The Wall", which was fun, though many times the contestants were unlucky. Any show where your financial gains and losses are based on gravity have to be. What amused me was they asked about Susan Lucci's Daytime Emmy win, which understandably people didn't know how many nominations she had before winning, as that ceremony was over 15 years ago.

On PBS, I finished "Grantchester", (airs on ITV in the UK). At this point, it hasn't been announced if it is coming back, but the show left me extremely upset with Sidney (James Norton) behavior as well as Geordie's (Robson Green) as neither was behaving properly. While this is a period piece about the 1950s the characters act as more than just solvers of mysteries.

On Sundance, I finished "The Bob Newhart Show" season two from the mid-1970s. Still enjoying this as out of the classic shows that aired in the 70s on CBS's Saturday night block, this is the one that I didn't see any reruns over the years.

On TNT, I watched the first season of "Claws", which is about the southern mafia and women in a salon who engage in criminal behavior. The show was renewed for a second year. It took me until the end of the first episode to become interested, as it was a weird combination of comedy, drama, and mystery. Like many of the shows I watch, an acquired taste, but if someone reads about it and it sounds interesting it is worth the time investment.

On Up, I watched "Date my Dad", which is a show about a widower and his three daughters. They have the average and not-so-average family problems, and I swear it isn't all about Ricky's (Barry Watson) love life even if the title is about his romantic life.

So that's what I've watched in August 2017. Happy viewing!

No comments: