Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Y&R: Sharon and Victor

On "The Young & the Restless" it seems like they are going to go full force with the controversial pairing of Sharon (Sharon Case) and Victor (Eric Braeden). I was thinking about why this bothers me so much and decided to blog about it.

Typically, I have no issues with pairings where both characters are consenting adults even if they are not close in age. The term I use to reference this kind of couple is a cross-generational pairing (cross-gen for short). With Sharon and Victor my reaction is "yuck", and I think I know why.

Victor is the grandfather to Sharon's children Noah and Faith and treated her oldest child Cassie (now deceased) like a member of the family. Sharon first started dating Victor's son Nick (Josh Morrow) when they were teenagers. Basically Sharon has known Victor her entire adult life, and in some ways was a surrogate father along with a father-in-law.

If Sharon was with any other older man on canvas it wouldn’t bother me. This is an equal opportunity type of loathing as if the show decided to have Nikki (Melody Thomas Scott) and Billy (Billy Miller) date I’d be as freaked out by it for Victoria’s (Amelia Henlie) sake. Nikki is Billy’s mother-in-law, and she was married to his older half-brother Jack (and even miscarried his child).

Some pairings are just too close due to past history for me to accept. Victor and Sharon fall into that category. I hope that Sharon doesn’t end up becoming pregnant with Victor’s child, as that would make it impossible for me to sit through their scenes without grimacing at the turn of events. When other soap operas have played this kind of plot, I ended up fast forwarding material instead of putting myself through the annoyance of watching it.

No comments: