Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

GL: On DVD Coming 2012

Last night, information was released that soapclassics.com is going to offer 20 episodes of Guiding Light for sale in Mid-January. So far we have one photo of cover art and this post from welovesoaps.net with spoiled episodes.

First off, I hope it appears in the mail before January 25, 2012, because that’s the 75th anniversary of Guiding Light’s first episode. The other thing is I hope we get a good cross section of characters and stories with no nine-year gaps (like the first As the World Turns set.) Thankfully that was rectified with the Christmas release, but I digress.

When we get more information, I’ll post more about this on my blog and elsewhere. So far, the two episodes that were “spoiled” completely by welovesoaps.net are Quint (Michael Tylo) and Nola’s (Lisa Brown) wedding and Roger (Michael Zaslow) falling off the cliff. Quint and Nola’s wedding aired June 24, 1983 while the Roger cliff episode aired on April 1, 1980. Other characters that were referenced were singing doctors (Kelly Nelson as played by John Wesley Shipp), Irna Phillips (which sounds like a reference to the 2007 anniversary episode) personality disorders (sounds like Jane Elliot’s character of Carrie) and drunken stepfathers (Judi Evans’ Beth and James Rebhorn’s Bradley) perhaps. The cover art has a shot of Santo Domingo (which is the Roger story), Reva (Kim Zimmer), Gus (Ricky Paull Goldin) and Harley (Beth Ehlers) in their wedding garb, so it looks like their 2005 wedding may be included, and Phillip (Grant Aleskander) in the red hoodie from 2009.

I’m looking forward to this set, but I’m apprehensive in a way. I hope I am not disappointed with what is on it. They only could start picking material from October 1979 on, but within the last 30 years of Guiding Light the quality of the episodes vacillates wildly. Also some famous episodes can’t see the “light” at this time due to music issues, which is unfortunate thing. I hope we get the best of the best.

Like with the ATWT episodes that are available for sale. I will blog about the Guiding Light ones too. (Of course, if there are episodes that are more recent or part of plots during their original airing I didn’t like there will be a bias. I may end up writing quicker summaries in those cases.) If there are things I’ve learned over the years from reading magazines or going to fan events, I’ll take the time to add that additional background information into the summaries.

No comments: