Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Primetime TV Update - December 2014

Here's another post listing shows I've caught or caught up with recently in binge format or watched until their mid-season breaks. This includes show spoilers for some series and just is programs I watched through the end of December.

On MTV, I caught the runs of "Awkward", "Faking It" and "Happyland". All these shows ran seasons this autumn. Awkward finally fixed the issues I had with it and actually became a stronger program. Hopefully its final episodes will be enjoyable. It was oddly hilarious to see Tuc Watkins on as a gay man who tried to not be gay. Faking it about the lives of best friends Karma who identifies as straight and Amy who identifies as a lesbian, and everything that happens. I can see some people finding it problematic as Amy slept with Karma's boyfriend, but I'm curious to where the story goes. Happyland is about the lives and loves of people who live and work at an amusement park. The main story is about a quadrangle about a girl, her male best friend who becomes her boyfriend, her best female friend who dated her male best friend and the boy who may be her biological brother, but isn't. I have no idea if there will be more episodes, but the show reminded me of a comedic soap opera.

On The CW, I watched "Arrow", "The 100" and "The Flash". They are all on their winter breaks currently. Arrow took the extreme measure of killing off its lead Oliver, but obviously there is no way he will stay dead for good as he's the main character. The 100 killed a main character, but due to its ensemble nature, and the environment of the show characters die quite regularly. The Flash compared to the others is very light in tone. I wonder if it will "darken" or continue to be the fluffy brother to Arrow.

On ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX, I don't watch much these days. While I keep up with How to Get Away with Murder and Scandal, they deserve a second viewing. My favorite scripted show on the networks is "Nashville". Juliette and Avery are my favorite couple on that show, somehow I just love the idea of seeing GL's little Lizzie Spaudling with GH's Lucky Spencer. I liked Forever, but not enough to watch it week to week, though I'm glad it will run the entire season. I only sampled things on NBC and CBS except for the reality shows I already watch: "The Amazing Race", "Survivor" and "The Voice". With FOX, I watched "Gracepoint", which was wasn't as good as its source material "Broadchurch"though parts of it were stronger like the chemistry between David Tennant and the actress who played the innkeeper. I understood in "Gracepoint" why he would proposition her, when on "Broadchurch" I was perplexed. Hopefully "Empire" will be entertaining, as the promos looked interesting.

On BBCAmerica, I viewed three shows since my last update: "Doctor Who", "The Game", and "Intruders". Doctor Who ran a 12-episode season along with a Christmas special in 2014 with new Doctor (number 12) Peter Capaldi. My favorite episode of the series was the Christmas special, as it was the first one I really enjoyed in years. The Game was about spies in the 70s in London during the cold war and how spy craft was different before computers. Intruders was based on a book and about a group of people involved in a reincarnation organization. The show ended with a cliffhanger, and it is uncertain if it will return with new episodes in the future.

On Syfy, I watched the miniseries Ascension. It was the first time, I've watched anything scripted that wasn't an import on that channel since Farscape. The show's concept of a world where life hadn't evolved since the early 1960s, was interesting.

That's my update to wrap up 2014's television viewing for prime time series I watched on American television.

No comments: