Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Monday, August 27, 2012

GH: The Surprise Return

Late last week, Frank Valentini, General Hospital's executive producer tweeted that a surprise was in store on Monday, August 27, 2012. The surprise lived up to that hype, below is speculation based on spoilers.

So okay, today at the end of GH we see Ian Buchanan as Duke Lavery in the mental institution that Luke (Tony Geary) and Anna (Finola Hughes) went to in search of Robin (Kimberly McCullough). He isn't a patient, but is somehow involved in Robin's disappearance. From what was in TVGuide.com, this is the first we'll see of Duke and the next time is in five weeks. Five weeks, they want us to wait five weeks. Boo, I want more now. This reminds me of a season ending cliffhanger, but instead of waiting all summer it is just a few weeks. Note to self, the next time I whine, at least it isn't a few months or a year as some shows only air for a few months come back the next year (see True Blood, Mad Men and other cable shows as examples). The other tidbit was that the Duke we saw die in 1990 played by Gregory Beecroft wasn't really Duke after all.

Anyway, my first impression was Ian Buchanan looked so much better on screen on GH then he did at Days of Our Lives. I have no idea why he did beyond the facial hair, which is kind of ludicrous.

Perhaps it is a recognition that Ian is finally back on the soap opera that he left in 1989. While I didn't mind him as James on The Bold and The Beautiful, the other daytime shows I've seen him on my first impression is go back to GH Ian and play Duke. I didn't have an issue with him on It's Gary Shandling's Show or Twin Peaks, but I digress.

It is nice to be able to see someone go home so to speak and go back to the role that made them known. There are a lot of performers who will never be able to reclaim their signature role. I'm glad that Ian got this opportunity and even though it took more than 20 years we get to see it also. That said I hope this dream doesn't turn into a nightmare and the history of Duke is kept into account with whatever story is given for Mr. Lavery.

No comments: