Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Scifi Soap Opera Crossover Chaos

On tumblr I saw a prompt regarding the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who and what other fictional characters could be in that universe. I decided to play and answer that question on my blog.


I'm only listing a few characters for each show and how I could see them as science fiction characters. To make this more difficult, I decided I couldn't include characters who "regenerated", which was a term they created to explain how they could recast the main part. There are 11 different actors who played the role of "The Doctor" the number will go up later this year, but I digress. Very few characters in daytime were ever recast that many times (Tom Hughes from ATWT who was born in the 60s was recast over 10 times is the one notable exception). Soaps like Dark Shadows, Port Charles and Passions all either were science fiction or included numerous stories of that nature.

All My Children

When I was trying to come up with someone from AMC I was a bit stumped. Then I thought what about David Hayward and his ability to resurrect people who were thought to be dead. I figure that's a good enough reason for him to be in a science fiction universe.

Another World

My first instinct was to go with Jordan Stark/David Halliday due to the Lumina story. Since that was science fiction, it was a bit of a cheat. I could have also gone with Tomas, who originally was going to be a vampire. Then again another choice could be the obsessed ape...

As the World Turns

James Stenbeck is an obvious choice. When your last story involves drugging someone to believe they were you after they took an anti-aging potion, I think you would be a good science fiction character.

Bold and Beautiful

For this I go with Sally Spectra. Why because she was outrageous and had cool outfits, and one of the things that Doctor Who is famous for are the iconic outfits each doctor wears. That being said she didn't just wear one outfit primarily for years.

Days of Our Lives

There are way too many characters who could apply to this as they did an alternate universe story with Melaswen. Many characters were killed off and instead of dying they ended up in Melaswen aka New Salem. Anything that Stefano did to John Black aka the pawn could also be eligible. Eugene the extreme inventor is another option, though he belongs in Trekverse. Also Marlena being possessed could apply as there have been devil stories. 

General Hospital and Port Charles

Casey the space alien would be a decent choice from the 1980s would be appropriate. The most famous of course would be "ice princess". The Port Charles crossover story would be another where Lucy was desperate to capture vampires.

Guiding Light

The first character I thought of was Roger Thorpe and how the "time agency" was who had him during his missing years. During the tapes I have from GL from when he returned they just say agency without specifying. Reva of course was cloned, and was involved in time travel, so she would be the most obvious choice.

One Life to Live

I could just easily say the Buchanan family and be done with it. Clint had time traveled, so has his brother Bo and Clint's son Rex. Three family members time traveling would count. Viki was involved in those plots and she also visited an underground city, though in some ways that was more Trek due to the outfits.

Santa Barbara

That show did special science fiction episodes like the Capwell Zone. Also there was the plot where Cruz and Eden travelled back to the past like Back to the Future.

Young and Restless

I was struggling to come up with anyone who would fit. In a weird way, I like that there was no 100% obvious or funny choice to go with for this kind of category. I'm not going to pick someone just because they have a particular accent either. Perhaps John Abbott who is dead and visits his family all the time would work. That or how in Genoa City at Christmas something crazy happens that is out of this world. Of course, there hasn't been an alien invasion, but there was time travel.

No comments: