Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

AMC & OLTL: Thoughts on Today's News

Earlier today (September 3, 2013), there was a new article in the LA Times about Prospect Park. Below are my thoughts on it, to read the article follow the link.

First off, there is no direct quote from Jeff Kwatinez saying that One Life to Live being shelved due to a lawsuit though that reason is given as it is in a paraphrase section not in "quotes".  The lawsuit started in April with the court papers filed prior to AMC and OLTL premiering online. Why is it now, that they give this reason for OLTL not continuing? That being said I am glad for AMC and its myriad of viewers. I hope that the actors get back to work sooner rather than later.

I just wish they would show more transparency and learn from their earlier issues. If you are putting something on hold for an unknown amount of time, be upfront and do a press release. They should know by now that releasing information this way does more harm than good as it causes even more frustration and speculation. The LA Times article was picked up by a lot of sources, and sadly many people involved in the program only found out via an interview.

Back in August, when the news came out about the seasons, I wrote that the last thing I wanted was either show to end on a cliffhanger and not get a resolution. Due to the "shelving", that is what it looks like OLTL will be getting. Before anyone says oh it doesn't mean it is cancelled, the actors won't have to be available for OLTL once their contracts lapse (most of which will be in December or January). So if the lawsuit isn't settled out of court, the case tried or dismissed, OLTL will have to start again with casting. Who knows how many of the actors will be available if it only gets up and running again in 2014? The momentum for OLTL will be damaged if people have to wait so long. Also the contract that Prospect Park has in Connecticut is only until the end of 2013, I think I'll feel a bit better if they renew that lease.

While I can see why some would keep up hope it isn't something I can easily do. If someone is optimistic and feels that way, that's great. I won't tell you not to feel that way, or belittle you for those feelings, but don't expect me to agree. It was a "miracle" that the shows came back to begin with, and sadly that miracle may be over for One Life to Live. That said, I was happier when OLTL ended on ABC, than I am about this shelving as most of the characters had positive endings and now most of them had negative ones as it wasn't an expected end. I wish the people involved with either AMC and/or OLTL good luck in their lives and careers.

No comments: