Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Days of Our Lives

Today marks the 45th anniversary of the premiere of Days of Our Lives. The show began on November 8, 1965 on NBC as a 30-minute program that aired between 2-230 in the afternoon. This past weekend they had the Day of Days event in California, which many people attended and the news has been announced the show has been renewed for another two years. If anything that is a wonderful birthday present.

I was thinking about what made Days of Our Lives special to me especially back when I first started watching during the super couple era. I think it was the romance and the promise of it. The idea of the large extended family that I didn’t have was another thing that lured me. The warmth that Tom and Alice had in their relationship made me wish, I had grandparents like them.

Recently I located the calendar I wrote in about Days in from 1988. The calendar was one we received in the mail for free from the hospital I was born at and I used it solely to write about DOOL. Only the episodes I saw were marked and I did this through early August of that year. I wanted to share some of what I remarked on as it made me laugh. I am keeping my typos, as that’s what I wrote back then, but marking them.

I gave January 1988 as Roman and Diana’s month as their story was the focus of the episodes I happened to see. I have no idea why I only summarized what went on in that particular story. as it wasn’t even my favorite plot on Days at the time.

Back then John was Roman, and truly it took me years to call him John. My first entry was for December 31, 1987’s episode and says Roman kidnaps Diana before she gets married to Victor on New Year’s Eve. On January 4th, the kidnap (sic) was successful. They made love. Roman handcuffed Diana to the bed so she wouldn’t go back to Victor. January 8th, Diana gets the key and handcuffs Roman to the bed. She leaves but comes back shocked after she finds out her mother is a crook. Diana comes back to Roman. January 13th Diana keeps her plans on marring (sic) Victor because she is working undercover for the police. January 18th Philip, Diana’s father dies after being shot by the bullet that was meant for Roman. January 27th, Diana goes to break up this crime ring and disobeys Roman.

What I find humorous reading through this summary is what occurred in that story in less than a month’s time and it wasn’t even sweeps. We had kidnapping, sex, and a shooting death in one plot. That’s a lot of action. Of course, it makes me laugh that I was entertained by it even if it is politically incorrect or at least somewhat subversive. Getting kidnapped by ones love interest, having sex with them, allowing them to handcuff you and then handcuffing them. Well that sounds a bit kinky doesn’t it? Back then all of it went over my head, which was probably a good thing.

So that’s my little foray into my viewing past with Days of Our Lives. Happy 45th Anniversary!

No comments: