Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Marie Claire Controversy and Soaps

If you've been around the net, this past week you should have seen news about what was blogged about on the Marie Claire website about the CBS sitcom Mike and Molly. Granted I've never watched the program, but I do have an opinion on the situation. I think daytime soaps seemingly have the same feelings on the topic as the author.

How often do we see people involved on a soap opera that aren’t fit and trim? Maybe one or two major characters exist every few years, which are over a woman’s size ten. More often, we get heavier men. If an older performer gets heavier, they may still get screen time, but they have to have a track record to get a bit of grace. The pressure in society to look young and perfect is annoying. “Gym, laundry, tan”, oh please. That’s not what it should be all about and that may not be hot.

To me hotness is about more than just looks but attitude. This is something I learned, as I got older. I remember when People named Sean Connery the sexist man alive, this was in 1989 and he was 59 years old. I was absolutely confused as he was OLD, especially as he could be my grandfather in age. I outgrew this ageism and have had numerous crushes on actors of older generations. With weight though, I wonder if this is possible as until the media gives us more positive images of couples of all sizes, people may not learn to be accepting of those of all sizes.

For me when it comes to any pairing on a soap opera it isn’t about looks. Story, chemistry and talent are my big three. When you get all three, it can be magical. Though of course, this is subjective and you could get ten people in a room who would disagree on those items. What I think is a good story, may be different than what others believe. Getting a consensus on chemistry and acting talent can also be difficult.

Not their age, not their looks, not their race, not their sex. None of those things matter. You can have two conventionally attractive people cast, but if the acting is awful, and the story is boring, why watch? I can’t see myself investing years of my life in a couple if they fail my test.

Daytime dramas seem to have the same prejudice and feel people must be hot for people to want to invest in their relationship. The truth is heat is completely subjective. I’d have no problem liking a couple based upon their weight. I just wish that daytime would allow us that opportunity. Beautiful people are beautiful because of who they are and not just their looks. If they are shallow and the moment they opened their mouths, I wish I had never heard them speak, there is a problem. Perhaps this controversy has allowed people to think about this issue as it made me and minds may be changed for everyone's betterment.

No comments: