Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Current Status of My Soap Viewing

The idea I had for today’s blog was trying to come up with three reasons for watching five of the six soap operas currently on the air. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to come up with a numbered list, but here are the reasons in no particular order. I wish I had come up with a more interesting title, but my creative juices didn't come up with anything uniquely me.

When I try to think of why I watch soaps, my initial thought was because I do. Is it based on the misguided hope that things can get better, is it based upon the minutes a week I enjoy of each show? I’m really not sure, and that’s something for another night.

If I think why do I watch All My Children, my first thought was it was so much better earlier in the year. Is it the switch is writing staff that has caused my ennui? Is it the lack of villainous characters? I want to care about what is going on AMC, but so far Greenlee being charged with David’s death is doing nothing for me. Erica and Jack have come back from their extended vacation, so hopefully that will help my opinion. Angie and Jesse with a side of their kids shouldn’t be the only material I like.

If I think about why do I watch Days of Our Lives, my brain went to because the stories while predictable don’t bore me. There are unexpected entertaining moments and couplings like Stefano and Kate, and Victor and Maggie. I wish Sami would make up her mind already and whomever she doesn’t choose gets another love interest. I want Chloe and Philip’s one-night-stand to be revealed to everyone as well as Chad’s biological connection to Stefano. And I’d like something special on screen for their 45th anniversary.

If I think about why do I watch General Hospital, my thoughts go to the characters I’ve watched since they were children or teens like Robin, Lucky, Elizabeth and Nikolas. I think that would be the main reason that I haven’t completely ran for the hills with GH. While I don’t always agree with the stories or direction, I care about these characters and since the original people are in the roles my memories are kept in tact. I appreciate Kristina and Michael being the next generation of Port Charles teens with their troubles and family causing potential future problems.

If I think why do I watch One Life to Live, the first thing that came to mind was it’s the only show left that tapes in New York City. That is a huge motivating factor as someone who grew up in the tri-state area. The next was it is a good place to see Guiding Light alumni. My biggest issue with OLTL is the cast overhauls of the last year. They wiped out much of the 20-30’s set and brought in different performers. As someone in that age range, I’d like a bit more stability.

If I think why I watch the Young & the Restless, perhaps part of it is curiosity. People who have loved Y&R for years aren’t happy, but others are. I don’t mind most of the plots even if some confuse me like I missed all of Adam and Jana’s evil deeds. I don’t expect them to be bad even if I am told they are evildoers. Seeing Jack and Victor be on the same side for a change is interesting. I also appreciate how Nina finally was reunited with her missing son.

There was my short list of what my general feelings for each show I watch are. As I was trying to be brief, I didn’t go into extreme detail as to what is and isn’t working for me. Each show has characters, actors or plots that I like, but at times the balance of what is focused upon doesn’t fit my ideal. Hopefully if you are still watching, you find things interesting on whatever shows you do view.

No comments: