Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Likes & Yikes 2013

Here is my version of best and worst for 2013. This is far from a complete list and just how I feel today about daytime soap opera related items. First will be general soap opera thoughts and later I will have items for particular programs.

Likes: TVGN picking up The Young and the Restless & Bold and the Beautiful (even if B&B is a day behind). It is so nice that there is an alternative way to view those shows.

Likes: Soap ratings for daytime have gone up in general, though with less shows it isn't surprising if some people migrated to "new" shows.

Yikes: The Prospect Park Lawsuit issues, which is no surprise.

Likes/Yikes: That we got All My Children and One Life to Live back online (or on OWN), but had less than 50 episodes each and were left with cliffhangers.

Yikes: Mentioned this last year, but SoapNet now is truly gone for everyone (not just for me).

All My Children

Likes/Yikes: Cassandra's story was harrowing, and had good performances. That said the pacing made it even more difficult to watch.

The Bold & The Beautiful

Yikes: While I've had enough with soap opera pregnancies in the last few months, it was shocking to me that B&B had two miscarriages in such a short time as both Brooke and Steffy had unviable pregnancies.

Likes: That Stephanie hasn't been forgotten even though she has passed away.

Days of Our Lives

Likes: That Shane and Kim came to visit to see their errant daughter as it would have been ridiculous if they hadn't come to town after she ODed on drugs.

Yikes: The hole that was left when Eileen Davidson's Kristen left Salem.

General Hospital

Likes: That we had a Nurses Ball, not that it was perfect, but I appreciated the effort. I also liked seeing some characters visit Port Charles.

Yikes: How the stories weren't connected for weeks, though they seem to be getting better in that regard.

One Life to Live

Likes/Yikes: The introduction of Carl into the story, but not finding out what his plans were and how it tied together. I wish they had started the explanation earlier so even if the characters didn't know what happened the audience did.

The Young & The Restless

Likes: While it was sad that Jeanne Cooper (Kay) passed away in real life, her tribute episode was awesome. I loved seeing the fourth wall being broken and the cast speaking about her.

Yikes: The evil blogger story, why can't a soap do a story about a nice blogger. We aren't all mean (or are we?)

That's my short list of some things I like and didn't like in soaps in 2013. Hopefully 2014 will be a good year for this genre of shows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watched Days and GH the week before Xmas as I was home sick. I had some likes/yikes myself.

GH: Loved seeing Anna and Duke and Robin but I really missed the Qs.

Days: I found myself missing the other halves of my couples....I wanted Bo and Jack...and how long has Sami been engaged to EJ? Forever? Not too fond of the new Eric but loved seeing Nicole again.

-LC