Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Monday, July 5, 2010

GL: Remembering Guiding Light's 1994 BBQ

Today there is weirdness due to the lack of Guiding Light for some of us who watched it. I didn’t really feel it at other holidays, as I was busy with other activities. The Fourth of July is different this year, as it fell on a Sunday, and consequently I’m off work on Monday.

In honor of the holiday, I thought back to my favorite Bauer Barbeque. Of course, I would not exactly describe it as solely that. Back in 1994, Roger in his infinite wisdom decided to compete with Ed. This time it was for the Independence Day holiday. Since the Bauers could have a holiday celebration, so could he. Instead of crashing the Bauer BBQ, Roger created an event of his own.

The featured food at Roger’s event was hot dogs instead of the traditional burger. Unlike the Bauer BBQ the guest list was limited and the results were humorous. Not everyone in town was invited and no one crashed. It was at Holly’s home. The only people who came other than Roger and Holly were Blake, Ross, Bridget and her son Peter. Ross didn’t want to be there, and Roger would have preferred if he stayed away, but Blake and Holly made him come. At one point, the two men became so quiet, that Holly and Blake were concerned that perhaps they killed each other.

Prior to coming to Holly and Roger, the others went to see Ed to wish him a happy holiday. Of course, other than Roger, everyone else would have been a welcome guest at the Bauer BBQ. The Bauer BBQ that year was larger than the year before as in 1993, it was toned down due to Maureen’s passing. Even so, it wasn’t the big event as it had been in the past like in 1987 for example. I don’t know if it was only one show or more, and I can’t locate that information anywhere on-line much to my frustration.

This was also the year that on the episode for the 4th and the Bauer BBQ, Buzz, Frank and Nadine talk soaps. They make fun of the concept of the weeklong holiday events. At the time, Frank is faking a broken leg and is in a cast. Nadine has actually hurt herself and is also wearing one on her arm. They are in the living room of Frank’s house. If I recall correctly the Bauer BBQ that year did not last a week.

I wish I could write and remember more about the 4th of July that year. I just recall how much fun it was watching it. Perhaps this was my favorite of all the years due to the pure wackiness of all of it. It wasn’t all drama and angst for the 4th of July. Holly and Roger were together and happy in love. Blake and Ross had recently returned from their honeymoon. Bridget and Dylan finally consummated their relationship the week before the BBQ. Ed was moving on emotionally with Eve Guthrie. Frank and Eleni were apart, but due to how things were going we knew they would get back together with Alan-Michael losing her again.

Unfortunately the actual Bauer BBQ from 1994, or Roger’s BBQ were not something I could find on the web. These memories while incomplete brought a smile to my face, and that’s the best thing of all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memory. I haven't found the 1994 BBQ, but here's at least one episode of the one from 1987.
http://glmanny.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/bauer-bbq-1987