Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

GetGlue Madness

Today Getglue.com announced that they will no longer sending free hard copy stickers from check-ins on their site.

This news upset a lot of people myself included as it is so sudden. I wish they would allow everyone to order what they already earned. Since you were limited to 20 stickers a month, many people (myself included) were months behind in redeeming stickers. I never got all of the Days of Our Lives, General Hospital 50, One Life to Live or All My Children stickers I earned because of the limits. They say not that many people order stickers, well I wonder how many people sign up and then forget so they aren't active regular users.

Of course, the timing couldn't be more "wonderful" as so many people (myself included) spent way too much time in the last week checking in and staying up all hours to get Doctor Who stickers. I earned more than 20 of them. Everyone knows that twitter now is an indication of television ratings, so I wonder if getglue's actions will hurt shows as people may not remember to hashtag their comments on programming using twitter.

Barring the reinstitution of hard copy stickers, I'd like them to make the images easily available for home printing/download. Tell us what size sticker stock to get, and create templates. Some of us will take the time to create our own to complete our binders. I would even be willing to give them money to provide me with all the 1000+ stickers I've earned in with my account.

Honestly though I don't think they realize that most people who use the site regularly, do so mainly to get the stickers. I don't really use it to discuss programs, as I already follow people to chat about what we are viewing. The idea of virtual stickers, well I don't get the point of it. If I want really cool pictures of people and shows I enjoy, I visit tumblr for gifs. I may be old school, and hey I still have part of my childhood sticker collection.

Until this situation is rectified I don't really plan to check into getglue as much as I had. What is the point if you are getting nothing for it except for a badge. I don't get the point of virtual badges except in online gaming situations or if it gives one discounts, but at this point getglue doesn't provide a monetary incentive to log into their site. This may change and we all shall see.

No comments: