Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Monday, November 11, 2013

AMC & SoapNet Dead Again


Just wanted to post my thoughts on the two recent soap items about All My Children's online revival being defunct and SoapNet finally closing shop. While both things are disappointing they are not unexpected. My favorite version of the coverage on these topics comes from TVLine.com as they combine the topics and link to the pertinent articles.

Instead of having an official announcement about the end of All My Children, it was leaked by Debbi Morgan (Angie) whose attorney confirmed this over the weekend. While this situation is disappointing, I don't blame any of the actors for what happened. I do blame the people who brought the show (along with One Life to Live) back and then didn't have the decency to even share the information in an article (as at least OLTL got that much.) I feel for those who are upset over what happened especially those who were employed by Prospect Park. It is also frustrating as now we may never know how the stories that were started were to wrap up and cliffhangers aren't my favorite thing in the universe.

SoapNet going away at the end of the 2013, doesn't change anything for me as I haven't had it for years. That being said, I hope that both Days of Our Lives and General Hospital that air on the channel find alternative distribution. While they are viewable online via network sites and Hulu.com, I hope they come up with a cable alternative. In my area, General Hospital is available on demand for a week after it airs. (Unfortunately fast forwarding is disabled, which makes it an extremely frustrating process if you are watching an episode you missed due to a partial preemption.) I don't have a "fix" for Days of Our Lives, but I hope someone at Sony or Corday realizes that not everyone enjoys watching online.

News like this is part of why it is difficult to be a soap fan. In a strange way, I feel relief because sometimes it is better knowing than to live with false expectations.

No comments: