Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

AMC & OLTL: More Cancellation Thoughts

It has been over 48 hours since the cancellation of All My Children and One Life to Live have been announced. Hopefully in the next couple of days, I can write about other topics, but for tonight I needed to touch upon this situation again. This entry may not be 100% sane, due to the late hour it is being written, but I felt the need to get out of my system.

Regardless of how much it sucks (and it truly does), we all will be okay. Things will be different, they may lack a little luster, but life will go on even if some of us may be watching a lot less (or no) programming on ABC. The people, who will be out of work, will eventually find something else to do. Maybe not in entertainment, but unless they have a lot of money saved, they still have to eat. Like I said in my last entry about this, it does hurt a lot knowing that within a few months there are some performers we will never see again. I've gone through that with other soaps and even years later I can't watch old material with certain people. Though if you show me a new photo or article with a performer who is no longer working, usually I get excited, think how much I miss seeing them.

For me it is too early to be glad for the time we had together. I say that because when I think about that, I get upset. That's what makes the tears flow. I feel nothing when I read any inane comments from people who don't understand (whether they are an anonymous poster on the web or work in the media.) People don't understand won't until it happens to them. Fans of other genres may at least be sympathetic if it is explained beyond "they cancelled my stories." Imagine being told by the owners of your favorite team that they won't be moving out of your city, they lie about it and when they finally tell the truth, you realize you've been manipulated for weeks. That isn't a good feeling. I think most of us want to feel like we have some control in our lives, and when we aren't given full information we feel even worse.

While I don't think any efforts to keep either show on the air will work, that doesn't mean I am not upset. I'm just too cynical to believe there would be any sort of 11th hour save in this situation and if there was it wouldn't be the same. My main emotion through all of this hasn't been anger, but sadness. For me sending a passionate angry letter would do nothing, as I feel resigned. Anyone who does write, call, protest or boycott, I hope it helps.

That said, I never trusted those in charge anyway, I am not angry with myself for believing the shows would stay on the air. I didn't believe a word out of the mouths of TPTB, and wouldn't put it past them to lie to people who work at the shows. That's a lesson I learned the hard way, and it changed how I view television. Being lied to as an actor is normal as they are low on the food chain. Back when Guiding Light was cancelled the performers had just had a remote in Florida (where people who weren't even taping were flown in) and there was a fan event as well. A publicity push in magazines such as People also had recently occurred. Some of the actors saw this as a sign the show was safe, but they were in the dark. Though a lot of people myself included were unfortunately right and it meant absolutely nothing.

Due to how some people are reacting, I think many who work at the shows, knew their days were numbered. They just did not have any clue about the two in one blow scenario being on the table until articles were posted on the web. I think that took people by surprise as usually television networks (unless they are being re-branded), change things gradually. The only time in prime time television past, I can think of where they had a mass cancellation was when CBS decided to get rid of their country shows and become more urban. It is ludicrous how much the landscape of some ABC channels will change in under a year as some air Live with Regis and Kelly and Oprah too. So they are losing four programs that are known quantities, I can see these local stations being a bit concerned. I would be in their place as if I turn on the television and see nothing familiar I will flip through it and go to something else.

With this news, so much has been lost... We have our personal memories, but an American tradition is dying. Something that binds people over generations for decades has been taken for granted. Like I said partially in my last post on this topic, If I could do anything it would be wish the people who work at these shows good thoughts, and also try to send good thoughts to everyone else who is hurting. I'd rather take the time to write actors thank you notes, than berate people who don't care and aren't willing to listen. We all need to remember who we should be cheering on as it is rough for them as well. They are losing their salaries along with their work environment potentially losing friendships as people scatter for new opportunities. We may not be able to see Pine Valley or Llanview for much longer, but it doesn't eliminate the impact. So thanks to all for your good work.

No comments: