Featured Post

CBS Daytme Renewed

The CBS network announced earlier today that everything daytime is coming back for the 2019-2020 season.

Friday, September 17, 2010

ATWT: The Last Episode Airs Today

Today is one of those black wearing days since As the World Turns airs its last episode. I’ve been taping the last couple of weeks to send off the show. For the last few days, I’ve been trying to come up with something eloquent to say about As the World Turns going off the air, but I don’t expect this blog entry to be that. This isn’t about the final episodes as I have yet to see them.

Simply put, it is sad whenever an institution that has brought so much joy to so many peoples’ lives comes to an end. Whether or not one has been happy with ATWT over the last few days, weeks, months or years doesn’t really matter. Fifty four years is a long time to be around and after today there will be no more new episodes to see. Things will never be the same for the people who worked at the program either. While they haven’t taped a new episode since June, my thoughts have gone to them on this day.

There is sadness and hurt when something you love ends even if it isn’t the same show as it once was or even if you have an emotional distance from it. I must admit, my mind swum looking through the special SOD/SOW ATWT tribute issue. Memories of things, some of which I’ve forgotten: the times, places characters and stories I enjoyed and some that I did not. Seeing the black and white pictures from before my time reminds me of how we are all connected. The viewers of the 50s and 60s may never have imagined that the show they enjoyed would last for 54 years. It is wonderful that it lasted long enough to be passed down generations. I grieve for the people who’ve love the show and are not ready to say goodbye. I feel for those who felt a tie to a lost loved one by watching the program, and now feel that loss again.

We may no longer have an ATWT to watch, but we have one we can remember. That’s the one thing that cannot be taken away. The first time I look in a programming guide and don’t see ATWT listed it will be odd. If I see actors mentioned with an x and their character name it won’t look right even if they have other jobs. Particular actors will always be seen in my mind as certain characters regardless of what comes next career-wise.

Adieu to you As the World Turns. While there won’t be any more episodes, you will not be erased from the annals of television history.

No comments: